It’s healthy, environment-friendly and economical but the best one is its sheer fun!
Cycling is the new trend in India. Indians take it as a new adventure sport some take up cycling for health benefits some are contributing towards eco system/nature. Whatever their reason is but by adapting this habit they are doing a great job for themselves and the society as well.
Cycling trend globally
Internationally, a lot has been done to encourage people to use the bicycle as a primary means of transport. In many countries, Cycle to Work Scheme offers tax-free bicycles to employees. In Belgium, Switzerland & USA, it is not uncommon to see top corporate executives in three-piece suits cycling their way to office. Amsterdam, famously, has more bicycles than people.
- Lack of road infrastructure- Bad conditions of Indian roads
- Road culture and safety- Weak traffic sense and lenient traffic rules
- Lack of equipment- Safety measures are not taken seriously in India
- Unawareness about health benefits of cycling- There’s something wrong with a society that drives a car to work out in a gym
Firefox, launched in 2005 made affordable bicycles possible for Indian consumers. Bicycle giant Trek forayed into the Indian market in 2006, in partnership with Firefox. Then, Taiwan-based Merida came to India in 2007. Today, global brands like Giant, Cannondale, GT Bicycles are all available in India.
Dos and Don’ts
- Always wear a helmet. Even if it’s a short distance, or a ‘safe’ place.
- Follow the traffic rules. Stay on the left, don’t cut lanes suddenly, and don’t jump red lights.
- Stay alert. Obstacles, potholes, pedestrians and animals can pop up on your path without warning.
- Give proper hand signals while taking a turn, changing lanes and coming to a stop.
- Be visible, especially in the dark. Use headlights and taillights, wear a reflective vest, and put a small light on your helmet.
There are a lot of benefits of riding bicycle every day some of them are-
- Fresh feeling in the morning
- Easiest way of Workout
- Reduce Stress Level and feel happier
- Riding bicycle for 20-30 minutes in the morning ensures that body has sufficient Vitamin D
- Helps in boosting Immunity
- Feel sharper
- Freedom and Satisfaction
- Live Longer